Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Kingmaker's Daughter

The most recent offering from Philippa Gregory in her series about the Cousin's War is The Kingmaker's Daughter. It is the story of Anne Neville, the youngest daughter of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. It begins when she is first presented to Elizabeth Woodville, wife and queen of Edward V.  It follows her through the marriage of her sister Isabel to George of Clarence, and her own marriage to the man who becomes Richard III. 

I have never given much thought to Anne Neville in my reading of British historical fiction, but I think I would have liked her, provided she is anything like Ms. Gregory portrayed her.

One thing I like about this book is the rivalry between sisters Anne and Isabel.  It is reminiscent of The Other Boleyn Girl, which is still my favorite by this author. Something I like about this series (as well as the Tudor series) is that Ms. Gregory visits the points of view of multiple people. I have read about Elizabeth Woodville, Anne Neville, Jaquetta Rivers, and Margaret Beaufort, all female players in the Wars of the Roses.

I look forward to the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment