Saturday, August 31, 2013

Not Quite What I Thought it Would Be

Firegirl by Tony Abbott

I bought this and read it because it was another recommendation by James Patterson. I enjoyed the first book he recommended, so I thought I'd take his advice on this one too.

If I were a seventh grader, this would've been a good read. I am not in that age range, so it bored me a bit. Given the title, I expected the book to primarily be about a girl who had been injured in a fire. That was not the case.

This book is about Tom, who goes to a Catholic school, and is friends with a boy named Jeff. Tom is into Cobras, and Jeff tells Tom that his uncle owns one. Jeff is one of those jerky kids you hope your child doesn't befriend.

One day, Jessica joins their class and she is badly burned. No one talks to Jessica, and no one wants to be around her. One day, Tom is asked to take Jessica's homework to her at home, and he learns more about her situation. Tom essentially becomes Jessica's only friend. It doesn't matter though, because she moves away. Tom finds out he is a better person because of his relationship with Jessica.

The one big surprise in the book is that Jeff's uncle really does have a Cobra. I thought that little jerk was lying about it the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment