Friday, November 1, 2013

Interesting Title

Dear Life, You Suck by Scott Blagden

With a title like that, how can one not be intrigued?

I went to the library on Monday during my conference period, on a mission to locate a dvd or vhs copy of the "movie" I was showing to my classes. While there, I chatted with the librarians. By the way, if you teach, make friends with the librarians because they will take care of you. Mine are awesome, and I like going to visit them. Anyway, the nominees for this year's TAYSHAS list had been pulled, and the librarians graciously allowed me to go through the stacks so I can read some of them. I narrowed my choices to four, and I chose this one-because of the title.

This book is actually very good. The language is not necessarily appropriate, but, given the audience it was written for, it works because that is how teenagers talk.

As it turns out, this book is about a seventeen year old boy named Cricket Cherpin. I know, haha. Cricket is an orphan who lives in an institution that was once a prison in Maine. Cricket is a bit of a trouble maker. The book begins with Cricket in the principal's office, receiving suspension for fighting a classmate. To be fair, he doesn't start these fights, and he fights those who are bullying others.

In English, Cricket is given an assignment that forces him to assess his life. He's nearly eighteen, and, due to his behavior, will not be allowed to live at the orphanage after he comes of age. Upon reflection, he realizes he has three choices for his future: as a fighter/boxer, drug dealer, or dead. He's leaning heavily toward choice number three. He becomes closer to a girl named Wynona, and he sees himself differently.

Loved this. Too bad the language will probably keep it from being a TAYSHAS book.

No comments:

Post a Comment