Saturday, November 22, 2014

Reading for me again

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

I bought this a few months ago, actually thinking I might have time to read books for myself while reading the 84 I needed to read for my grad school classes. Silly me. One reason I bought this book is because I liked another book by this author so much. This one, although good, did not live up to her other book.

I feel I was mislead by this book. I read the blurb on the back which indicated that this was the fictional telling of a murder that happened in Maine at the beginning of the twentieth century. That murder is in here, but the book is not about the murder. Instead, it is about a teen named Mattie who is torn between her dream of going off to college to become a writer and the boy who loves her.

Again, this was not a bad book to read. I was quite enjoyable, actually. It just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It also didn't necessarily need 380 pages to tell the story. Too many unnecessary details, and the daily word from the dictionary was just too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment