Sunday, August 30, 2015

Fall Required Reading #19

Gabi, A Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero

Gabi is a Mexican American girl living in California. Her mom puts a lot on Gabi being a good girl, and wanting her to lose weight. Her dad is a drug addict, and, although he's basically a lose, Gabi loves him to pieces. She has a younger brother named Beto who everyone thinks hung the moon simply because he is a boy.

This book is Gabi's journal of her senior year. Through her entries, we see how she feels about her best friend, Cindy, who is pregnant, and her other best friend, Sebastian, who is gay. We see her fall in lust with Eric, then in love with Martin. Pretty much, we see the typical life of an overweight high school girl who is just trying to live her life. I have to say, I loved this book.

There are a couple of things I didn't love about this book. First of all, I had to make a book cover so I could read this in my classroom because there is a vagina on the cover. No one wants to have to explain that to freshmen. The other thing that bothered me is that not all of the Spanish phrases were explained. Most were, and I could get the gist because the author would restate the phrase either before or after in English. Not all were that way, and I would have benefited from a glossary. In the grand scheme of things though, neither one took away from my enjoyment of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment