Saturday, December 12, 2015

Fairy Tale Poetry

Poisoned Apples by Christine Heppermann

I ordered twelve copies of this for my classroom. One day, a student was reading it, and laughed aloud in class. She showed the poem she was reading to her tablemates, and it became a topic of conversation for several minutes. The poem that caused this sensation? "If Tampons Were For Guys." After seeing this, I knew I had to read these poems.

While that one particular was somewhat funny, most are not. They focus on the dark side of being a girl. Worrying about weight, what people think of us, being pretty, blemishes, etc. I liked these poems because they were more real than most of what we are forced to read in school, and I think that is why my students, the girls anyway, like these poems too.

No comments:

Post a Comment