Saturday, August 6, 2016

Summer Reading #25

The Neverland Wars by Audrey Greathouse

I wanted to like this, I really did, but it just didn't resonate much with me. It's not that it was a bad book, but it didn't keep me engaged. I read three other books while I was reading this one, for crying out loud! It was too easy to put aside.

Here are the basics: Gwen is a sixteen year old girl with an eight year old sister, Rosemary. Gwen tells Rosemary "fairy" stories at bedtime. Gwen has a crush on a senior in her algebra class, and hopes he will ask her to the homecoming dance. Before that can happen, however, Rosemary goes missing. As it turns out, she is kidnapped from her bedroom by Peter Pan. Gwen's parents know this, as it is a fairly common occurrence.

Then night after Rosemary is kidnapped, she comes back with Peter Pan to take Gwen to Neverland to be a storyteller. Gwen meets the Lost Children, fairies (but no Tinkerbell), mermaids, and "redskins." Gwen knows she will go back to her regular life, but Rosemary wants to stay in Neverland. Also, apparently, Neverland is at war, but we never really find out who they are at war with. Peter is looking for someone known as the Piper to help with the war.

I knew going into this that it is the beginning of a series, but I was not prepared for the book to leave me hanging. You think there will be some resolution, but there's not. I didn't like this enough to buy the next one, so I guess I won't know how things end up. I am totally ok with this, but it bothers me when books leave you hanging. I don't care if it is in a series or not, it's not cool for the resolution to be left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment