Saturday, October 22, 2016

Historical Fiction? Not So Much

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jody Meadows

I saw this was on the TAYSHAS consideration list, and got really excited. I love all things Tudor, and thought this was going to be a young adult, historical fiction about Jane Grey. It was, kind of. You know, if Edward VI, Lady Jane, and Guildford Dudley actually lived.

And there's the problem I had with this book. They lived. And turned into animals.

There were so many times I wanted to give up on this because it was such a disappointment, but I didn't because I am not a quitter (and if it makes the final TAYSHAS list, that's 1/3 of a duck!)

Also, in their efforts to be funny, they threw in works from other authors/tv shows/songs/movies. I was not amused.

If you love all things Tudors, I would not read this. Save yourself. If you know nothing about the Tudors, you'd probably be safe reading this because you won't know any better that this is historically inaccurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment