Thursday, January 26, 2017

Written by a Childhood Hero

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Growing up, I was a bit of a Star Wars nerd. Still am, actually. This was ok because in those movies was an amazing female role model in Princess Leia, played by Carrie Fisher. Though I may not have realized it at the time, Leia was a strong woman. She could do everything Luke and Han did, and never made girls seem less than. Because of Princess Leia, I loved Carrie Fisher.

In high school, I discovered her books, Postcards from the Edge and Surrender the Pink. Pretty sure I liked them, but for the life of me, I don't remember what either of them were about. At any rate, I read them because they were written by Carrie Fisher.

So, when Carrie died on December 27, 2016, it affected me more than any celebrity death had before. Then her mother died the next day, and although I wasn't a fan, I still mourned for the mother who just wanted to be with her daughter. It was all very moving. In the days that followed, we were inundated with all things Carrie and Debbie, and it was during that time that I learned of the existence of this book.

I won't go into what Carrie writes about, but this was a book I couldn't put down. It made me laugh on multiple occasions. I can see me going back to re-reading this again soon. This let me see a side to the woman I looked up to as child that I had never seen before.

All I can say is that you need to read this one. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment