Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Summer '17 Book 14

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I started this a few weeks ago in one of my professional development classes when we were determining our reading rate. Before I started something new, I thought it would be a good idea to finish this. I am so glad I did.

The book starts out a few days before Christmas with Dash, a teen boy, in the Strand bookstore in New York City. As he is perusing the stacks in the search for reading material, he comes across a red, moleskin journal. In it is the beginnings of a little scavenger hunt. If, after the third (or was it fourth?) mission, if he chooses to continue the correspondence, Dash is to give the journal to the guy behind the register with a mission of his own.

Enter Lily, who is a bit of a loner. It was her brother who wrote the missions in the journal in order for Lily to find a companion. Lily and Dash trade the journal back and forth, completing each other's missions, and getting to know the best parts of each other. Dash puts it into perspective at one point when he says that maybe they shouldn't meet because what if they don't live up to each other's expectations.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked seeing what Dash thought of Lily and vice versa. I also really loved that I have been to some of the places in the book, which is a new piece of awesomeness for me. I can't wait until I get a chance to read the next Dash and Lily book, which takes place a year after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment