Thursday, February 15, 2018

Peer Into the Lives of the Mundane

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

I enjoyed Ms. Ng's first book, so when I saw this was coming out, I knew I would read it. I even tried to get an advanced reader copy of it, but was unsuccessful. So, finally, I found it for a really good price for my Kindle.

Told similarly to her first novel, this one starts with the Richardson's house being destroyed by fire and Mrs. Richardson (and everyone else, really) knowing who did it--the reader included. What follows are a series of stories that lead up to the fire. We hear the trials and tribulations of the Richardsons, some of their friends, and the tenants who live in the duplex that the Richardson's own.

This is a story of surrogates, stolen babies, abortion, betrayal, and heartbreak. I was surprised it turned out as good as it did, as the first third or so was a little on the boring side. Once you get past the first third, you won't want to put this down. It makes you wonder what secrets are hiding behind the carefully crafted facades you see every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment