Saturday, July 29, 2023

Reading to Prepare for the Release of the Movie

 Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

In September, a movie, A Haunting In Venice, hits the theaters. Because I read books before I see the movies they are based on, I read this (the movie is adapted from this book). I was excited about it because Kenneth Branagh portraying Hercule Poirot for the third time. I loved him in Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile. I enjoyed those books as well. This one though, not so much. 

The premise is that a young girl, Joyce Reynolds, was killed at a Halloween party. Ariadne Oliver, an authoress, was in attendance at the party, and she asks her friend Poirot to assist in finding out who committed the crime. Of course, he does; he's Hercule Poirot. What I got from this is Poirot talked to every damn person in this town, and in doing so, discovered other crimes that were committed. 

I had a hard time staying focused on this one, and ended up doing something I very seldom do--listened to the audiobook. Even with the audio, I struggled to focus. This one bored me, and is nowhere near as good as the other Agatha Christie books I have read. I'm still going to see the movie. Maybe it will be one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment