Monday, December 24, 2012

Lost

Long time, no post. Between teaching, parent choir, and knitting scarves, I haven't exactly had time to read lately. But, I am on winter break, and I have several new books, so maybe I can get back on track. 

Lost by Gregory Maguire. I tried to read this several years ago, but couldn't get into it. Having read nearly everything else he's written-some good, some not so good-I thought I'd give it another shot.

Winnie Rudge is the protagonist. The book starts out with her at an informational meeting about overseas adoptions-research for her next book, she says. Then Winnie is off to London, also research, but she has a cousin there that she generally stays with. The house this cousin owns belongs to a great-great grandfather, Ozias Rudge, who is said to be the inspiration for Dickens' Scrooge. 

When Winnie gets to Rudge House, she cannot find her cousin, John, and there is a renovation going on in the house. The renovators release a ghost, and the existence of said ghost plagues Winnie throughout the book. This ghost forces Winnie to examine her life, and visit the past to see where things went wrong.

This book was only ok. It took nearly two months to read because I could put it down. If a more interesting read came up, I read it instead.

Onto the next one...

1 comment:

  1. I may want to try this one. Like the ghost thing. I'm keeping tabs of what I may want to try after I get done with the Narnia books

    ReplyDelete