Wednesday, January 22, 2014

T List #12

The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban

This one was recommended by one of my librarian friends. We have similar interests, so I knew when she said how much she liked it, I would too.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I enjoy books that are told by different people. One of my favorites is 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. The Tragedy Paper was one told by two people: Duncan and Tim.

This book takes place at a private boarding school in New York state. As the book begins, Duncan is beginning his senior year. There are a lot of traditions at this school, and one of them involves the seniors boarding in one particular building. No one knows which room they will be getting except the senior who occupied the room before them. Tradition also dictates that the previous occupant leaves a "treasure" for the new occupant. Duncan is hugely disappointed in his room. It is the smallest, at the end of the hall, and has bad lighting. Then, he sees his "treasure" and is more disappointed. While some people were getting pets and liquor, Duncan gets a stack of cds.

Another tradition is a year long tragedy paper that the students have to write for their senior English class. Being an English teacher myself, I think I would love to have an assignment like this, but I am not sure how it would fit into our district curriculum.

Anyway, the previous occupant of Duncan's room is Tim Macbeth. I'll let that sink in.....Duncan and Macbeth, get it? Duncan listens to the cds Tim left, and it will help Duncan write his tragedy paper, but it also tells the story behind a tragic incident that happened the year before. 

I am not going to go into all that. As you can tell, I try not to give much away, and my goal is for you to go read these books yourself. This one you should definitely read. I didn't want to put this one down to go to bed the first night I had it, but I made myself do just that. I couldn't wait to dive back in after work to finish it today. Truly, there are not that many books that get me this involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment