Sunday, March 12, 2017

A Red Sequel

The Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

An interesting thing happened while I was reading this one.....for the first time ever, my Overdrive "rental" expired, and I wasn't finished with the book. I blame it on the fact that my Kindle 3g, Hypatia, kicked the bucket, and I had to use my Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire I HAD to have, but don't really use. I find it difficult to read on it, as it causes some serious eye strain for me. So, a week into reading this, I was not even halfway through, despite the fact that I was enjoying the book. Thankfully, I got an email that Kindles were on sale, and ordered a new one, Hypatia2. My reading life picked back up, but I still didn't finish in time. Then, when I went to sign into Overdrive, it won't connect. I suspect it has something to do with all of the IT work going on for my school district while we are out for Spring Break, but I was not ready for this particular outage. I ended up paying $12 on Amazon so I could finish the last 20% of the book today.

All that said, I did like the book. Did I like it as much as The Red Queen? No. I don't necessarily like the person Mare has become in the few short months that this book encompasses, but I don't hate her either. She has a lot going on, being the "face" of the enemy, and starting a revolution, and she's not the same person she was in the first book. That is to be expected.

Another thing that bothered me were the newbloods. Not that they existed, but that we, the readers, didn't get to know them as well as I think we should have. Why does Cameron act the way she does? Who the hell is Gareth, other than the dude who can defy gravity? So many newbloods mentioned by name, but not a lot of back story on them. I would have been ok reading a longer book to get a better idea about the characters I was reading about.

What I am hoping is that the next book will be better than this was. Again, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the first. Typical middle of a trilogy book syndrome, I guess. I will be reading the third, as soon as Overdrive is accessible again. In the meantime, I bought one of the novellas of this series and I picked up another book while I was out today. I'm set for reading material this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment