Sunday, January 7, 2018

A Serious Version of the Movie "Clue"

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Every time I read one of Ms. Christie's books, I can't believe I didn't "discover" her work until now. I could have been enjoying her for years! This one was recommended to me by a friend/coworker when I was reading Murder on the Orient Express. She told me this was her favorite and she felt this was the best of Christie's works. I have to say, at least on the latter part, this is the best--of the three I have read anyway.

Ok, so the title I gave this entry is that it was like the movie Clue, and in many ways, it is. Eight people are invited to Indian Island for a holiday. Two people, the caretakers of the island, though only recently hired, are already there. So, a total of ten people. On the first night, after dinner, they play a record on the phonograph, and each of the ten people is accused of killing someone. Most of them are able to explain why it is perceived that they killed someone. One flat out refuses, at first, to concede that she had anything to do with the death of the person she is accused of.

In each of the bedrooms and the dining room, there is a "Ten Little Indians" nursery rhyme. A morbid rhyme, at that. There's also an Indian decoration on the table. Beginning on that first night, people start dying, in the methods, more or less, indicated in the nursery rhyme. No one knows who is doing the killing. I know I didn't, but that's really no surprise, as I seem to be getting it wrong lately.

I really enjoyed this one, more so than the two Poirot novels I read. Don't get me wrong, I love Poirot, but this one resonated more with me. It also seemed to move along more quickly than the other two I read. I will definitely be reading more of Christie's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment