Tuesday, January 23, 2018

TAYSHAS 8

The Inexplicable Logic of my Life by Benjamin Alire Saenz

I was introduced to this author in my children's lit class. Couldn't put that book down, and it was the same with this one. Good thing we had course selection today, as I didn't have to teach, and spent a good portion of the day with my nose in my kindle.

This is about Salvador. He was raised by Vicente, who was his mother's best friend. His mother died when he was three, and Vicente was there from the very beginning. Vicente is gay, which lately means that Salvador is getting into fights.

Salvador has a best friend named Samantha. She and her mother have a volatile relationship, yet when her mother dies, she has a tough time with it. She ends up moving in with Salvator and Vicente, and they officially become the family that they have been for years.

They have a friend named Fito, whose mother is a drug addict. Fito basically lives on the street, and works two jobs in order to put away money for college. He knows that is his only way out of this life. He's also gay, which is part of the issue with his mother.

Salvator is very close to his grandma, who is called Mima. She is in the last stages of cancer, and they are all dealing with the fact that she will be gone soon. Salvator doesn't want her to die, and isn't sure how he'll ever deal with her being gone.

There is SO MUCH more to this story, and you need to go RIGHT NOW and read this! This book made me laugh, it made me ugly cry, and everything in between. Seriously, READ THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment