Sunday, March 11, 2018

Companion Novels Can Be Great....

Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story by David Levithan

...But this was not one of them. A couple (or few) years ago, I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green and loved it. So when I saw this novel was available, I knew I wanted to read it. Somehow, I didn't realize that it was the script of the autobiographical musical that Tiny was writing in that book. I should have, but I didn't. I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been in prose form.

So, Tiny tells his story from birth until the present, including his eighteen exboyfriends. We learn how he discovered he's gay and what went wrong with his relationships, complete with songs. It's hard to read songs with no idea what the music behind them is. It got to the point where I was just skimming the pages for the "good stuff" and praying I was getting near the end.

That said, it is not that I did not like Tiny's story. I did. It's just that it would have gone over better for me if it hadn't been a musical script. I wish I could go back to Friday, before I found this in the library, and conveniently forget that I wanted to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment