Monday, September 3, 2018

A Sequel as Unremarkable as the First Book

That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton

I read this because someone told me this was better than The Outsiders. Someone who, like me, didn't understand what all the fuss about The Outsiders is all about. I wish I could agree that this was better, but it wasn't. It wasn't worse either, for what its worth.

This, apparently, happens after the events of The Outsiders, but the only character from that book that makes an appearance at all is Ponyboy. Seems that every girl Bryon dates ends up with Ponyboy.  Bryon is an only child, but his best friend, Mark, lives with him and his mother. They get into trouble from time to time, but have each other's backs on everything, until Bryon betrays Mark.

Most of this was blah, blah, blah to me. Most likely won't be reading anymore by this author because her work just doesn't resonate with me. I understand that these books were groundbreaking at the time of their publication, but YA lit has come a long way and there are better things, in my opinion, to read. That said, if you're one of those people who think that The Outsiders is the be all end all of YA lit, then you should read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment