Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Murders at Sea

Escaping From Houdini by Kerri Maniscalco

Took longer for me to get into than it should have, but I think that was me and not the book in this case. I just haven't felt like reading much lately. Once I had some time to just sit and read, like on my flight to Paris, I was engrossed.

Picking up right after the second book in the series, this one sees Audrey Rose and Thomas onboard a ship bound for America. Also on board is a traveling circus, of which Harry Houdini is a part. Everyone is enthralled with the circus at the start, but then a young lady is killed right next to Audrey Rose. Her death was spectacular, but not in a good way, and seemed to reflect a tarot card. Every night of the cruise, someone is killed, and it is up to Audrey Rose to figure out who the killer is.

To top things off, Liza, Audrey Rose's cousin, has gone missing. She later turns up on the ship, under the thrall of Houdini. And the circus master wants Audrey Rose to himself, which makes her question what, or rather who, she wants.

In order to solve the crime, Audrey Rose has to learn from the circus master, Mephistopheles, how to do tricks so that she can infiltrate the performers to find clues. It's not until the killer takes Thomas that she finally figures out who the murderer is.

As with the predecessors in this series, there are a lot of twists and turns. My only complaint is that Houdini plays such a small part in a book that bears his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment