Tuesday, December 10, 2019

TAYSHAS 2020 #4

Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc by Davod Elliott

I am a fan of Joan of Arc. Her story is interesting and sad. When I was in Montmartre this past July, I had the opportunity to pray and light a candle in the little nave dedicated to Joan in the St. Pierre de Montmartre chapel. It was a beautiful opportunity to pay tribute to someone I hold in high esteem.

When I saw that this was a nominee for the TAYSHAS list, I was so excited and couldn't wait to read this. Unfortunately, I haven't been reading as much this year, so it took a bit longer for me to get around to this than I would have liked, but I did get to it.

This book tells the story of Joan of Arc through poetry, and some of the poems are shape poems. The shapes are things that are relevant in the life of the Maid of Orleans. Some of the poems are told by those objects, and some are told by people involved in her efforts in the 100 Years' War. It follows what I have read previously, so I would argue that it is fairly historically accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment