Tuesday, December 31, 2019

TAYSHAS 2020 #6

Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly

I was first introduced to Donnelly's work seven years ago, by a student I had at the time. Since then, I have read several of her books, and have yet to be disappointed. This was no different.

I bought this back in the summer, probably around my birthday, when I was still in my reading slump, but when I saw this was a TAYSHAS nominee, I knew I needed to get started. It made the list, and I have now earned two ducks.

I wasn't sure, even though I KNOW I read the book jacket, what exactly this was going to be about, which is silly, as it is fairly straightforward. This book tells the story of one of Cinderella's stepsisters. This picks up where the prince and grand duke are searching for the girl who can fit the glass slipper. We see the one sister, Octavia, cut off her heel in an effort to fit the shoe, as well as the other sister, Isabelle, cut off her toes. Isabelle is the one telling this story.

As predicted, after Cinderella, or Ella marries the prince and moves into the castle, the stepsisters and their mother are more or less destitute. Sure, they still have their home, but that is it. Eventually, they don't even have that. A couple of incidents make Isabelle want to be pretty, and the fairy queen is willing to comply. All Isabelle has to do is find the pieces of her heart. Too bad Isabelle doesn't really know what those are.

What I like is that this book shows that there are always two sides of a story. We are raised believing one thing about the evil stepsisters, but what if what we have been told our whole lives is wrong? This book lets the reader see a potential other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment