Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Homework From My Therapist

 Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder by Paul T. Mason and Randi Kreger

First and foremost, I should mention that I "read" this as an audiobook, which is not really my style, but it was free on Audible, so...

In my session last week, my therapist "assigned" this to me as "homework." Usually, my homework consists of writing in my journal or things like that. This was the first time she had me read a book. I won't say I loved it because this isn't the kind of book you want to fall in love with, but it did provide me with some insight. 

As the title implies, this book is about taking your life back when someone you care about has BPD or NPD. 

One thing this book did for me is show me that I am not crazy. That the things I have experienced with some of the people in my life that I care about aren't my fault. Hearing some of the descriptors and stories from others helped me to see them in people I love. 

That isn't to say that at times I haven't exhibited traits of NPD or BPD, but that was something that was made very clear: sometimes everyone exhibits those traits. It's a fact of life. But exhibiting them from time to time and always are two very different things. 

I liked that the information was presented in layman's terms and that there were personal examples--both of people dealing with BPD and NPD in their lives, as well as the loved ones they interacted with. Perspective helped. 

I would definitely recommend this book to people who have loved ones with BPD or NPD.

No comments:

Post a Comment