Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Book #6

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

What is it about books about the Holocaust that make them so good? Why are we (me) fascinated by these books? I don't know the answer to these questions, but I do know that I have never met a Holocaust related book that I didn't like. This was no exception.

Liesel Meminger is our heroine. At the beginning, her mother, her brother, and herself are on their way to Molching so that Liesel and her brother can be placed with a foster family. Honestly, I must have missed the why on that. On the way, Liesel's brother dies, and this is when Liesel "steals" her first book. She's only nine when this happens. Once she gets to Molching, she lives with the Hubermans, Hans and Rosa. Rosa is gruff, and Hans is loving. Liesel takes to him right away. Hans teaches Liesel to read, and comforts her when she wakes from nightmares.

Liesel is also friends with the neighbor boy, Rudy Steiner, the boy with the lemon colored hair. They get along well, play soccer together, and steal together. They steal mostly food and books. Most of the books are stolen from the mayor's wife, Ilsa.

A year or so after Liesel comes to live with the Hubermans, a Jew shows up on their doorstep.  The Hubermans take him (Max) in, honoring a promise Hans made long ago. Max lives in the basement, and despite being a Jew, he becomes like family to the Hubermans.

So much happens in this book, that there is no way for me to cover it all here. Just read it; it's so worth your time.

Oh, I almost forgot....the book is told from Death's point of view. This was a nice change of pace, and I think it made the deaths in the book hurt less. Read it, and you'll understand what I mean by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment