Thursday, February 20, 2014

Factions No More

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

I have a tendency to read reviews on Amazon about books I read. I seldom read the good reviews because I don't need to know why people love the book, I want to know why they didn't. Where I screwed up with the review for this book is that I read the review before I started the book, and it tainted the whole experience for me. With that in mind, I, as always, won't reveal too much about plot.

One thing I wholeheartedly agreed with the reviews on was the way the author used dual narration. Some of the chapters were Tris, some were Tobias. Normally, I like books written this way; 13 Reasons Why was one of my favorites. The problem in this book is that we are used to seeing things through Tris' eyes, which is great, but Tobias' voice is damn near the same. I found myself double checking the name chapters so I could keep it straight when I was reading.

Also, Tobias is a bit of a douche in this book. I found myself not liking him nearly as much as I did in Divergent and Insurgent. He also gets a bit whiney toward the end. I guess it is to be expected, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

Loved Tris, but then, how could you not love Tris? Definitely a good role model for girls. She's strong, she's smart, and she gives of herself whenever possible. All good traits to have.

I won't sugarcoat it: there's some tragedy in this book. You had to know it would be that way; it always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment