Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Stoney Made Me Read It.....

Divergent by Veronica Roth

My husband doesn't read very often, but he wanted to read this before the movie came out. I wasn't in a hurry to read it, but Stoney told me I needed to for a couple of reasons. The first, of course, because I would probably like it. The second? Because it would be weird, to him, if we went to a movie based on a book and he'd read it but I hadn't. So, I took a break from the TAYSHAS list to read this.

Beatrice is sixteen. She has a brother, Caleb, who is a little less than a year older. They were born into the Abnegation faction. They are of an age where they are tested, and then have to choose a faction. Caleb chooses Erudite, which surprises Beatrice because he seems to embody what it means to be an Abnegation. Then there's Beatrice. Her results indicate that she is a Divergent. Not entirely sure what that means, but it could mean an early death for her if people find out. She chooses Dauntless.

After getting her ass kicked in training, and nearly killed, Beatrice makes it through initiation. That's when all hell breaks loose. The Erudite decide to use mind control on the Dauntless to try to eradicate the Abnegation. Will they succeed?

Not sure why the world has decided to get all dystopian on us. I have read a ton of dystopian novels lately. I suspect it's because many people are unsatisfied with the status quo, and can see the merits behind the notions presented in these books.

This book was good. Definitely as good as, if not better than The Hunger Games, and I feel like that is saying a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment