Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Reading List #2

Gregor the Overlander: Book 1 of The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins

Even if this hadn't been on my grad school reading list, this was one that was on my to read list. My best friend's mother is a retired elementary school teacher, and both she and my best friend have been telling me for ages how good these books are. In fact, I started this one two years or so ago, but let other reading get in the way. I am, however, glad I read this book.

It's a Suzanne Collins book. She wrote the Hunger Games trilogy, so I knew it would be a good read. I had no idea how good until I actually started reading. It doesn't matter that this is a "kid's" book; anyone could read this and enjoy it.

Gregor is an eleven year old boy, living in New York City with his mother, two younger sisters, and his grandmother. His father disappeared two and a half years prior to the events in this story. It's summer, and Gregor is at home with his grandma and Boots, his baby sister. Gregor goes to the basement to do laundry, and plays with a ball with Boots. Boots climbs through the vent, Gregor goes after, and they end up falling to a land far below the surface.

In this new civilization, the humans ride giant bats, there are giant roaches, and giant rats. There is some tension between Gregor and Luxa, the heir apparent of the human civilization. Gregor learns that this is where his father wound up after going missing. There's a prophecy that involves Gregor, and rescuing his father.

This is an action story, but it also has heart. You can't help but sympathize with Gregor. For myself, I can't wait until I have time of my own again to finish the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment