Friday, January 23, 2015

Letters of Pride and Prejudice

Dear Mr. Darcy by Amanda Grange

I came upon this book quite by accident at the bookstore shortly after Christmas. I was drawn to it because it has connections to my favorite book. When I bought it, I thought it was strictly letters written to and from Mr. Darcy, and I am happy to report that I was wrong. Nearly everyone from the source material sends and receives letters, even characters that we assume exist but never show up in P&P.

What I really liked about this is that it gave some background that may have happened before the events of P&P. We learn about what may have occurred in the unfortunate business between Georgiana and Wickham. We learn a bit more about Bingley's family, as well as Charlotte Lucas.

Another thing I liked was seeing the inner thoughts of the characters that we didn't necessarily see in P&P. To me, it added new dimensions to the source material, and made me love Austen's beloved characters that much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment