Friday, January 9, 2015

New Appreciation for the Irish

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

I've said for years that I wanted to read this book, as I like the movie. It came up fairly inexpensively one day for my Kindle, so I bought it. Oddly enough, I also acquired a hardback copy not long afterward, so I had my choice of reading formats.

My biggest complaint with the book is the fact that the author didn't seem to care about punctuation. I teach English, so things like this really grind my gears. I had no trouble dealing with the dialect as it was written, but the lack of comma and quotation marks was a problem.

The story itself is well done. It follows Francis McCourt from his birth in America to his return to America when he is nearly twenty. We learn how poor the McCourts are, how his father has a serious alcohol problem, about the deaths of some of the McCourt children, and just life in general for Frankie.

The movie made from this book is a decent representation. In fact, I could've gotten by having not read the book. The movie is very faithful, and although there are some differences, they aren't too noticible.

No comments:

Post a Comment