Friday, April 24, 2015

Fall Reading List Possibility #12

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

This has been on my Kindle for months, it looks like it may be on my young adult reading list for fall, and I was shamed by my team because I hadn't read it yet. All these are reasons I decided to read this book at this time.

Melinda is raped at a party during the summer before her freshman year of high school. All her friends hate her because she called the cops, and they broke up the party. No one knows the reason why Melinda called the cops because Melinda can't talk about what happened. She has become a social pariah for something that wasn't her fault.

When she does talk about it, the person she tells doesn't believe her, and thinks she is just jealous. School becomes an unsafe place for Melinda from time to time. She does, however, find some solace in the project she has to complete for art, a hidden away closet, and the flowers she plants in her yard.

I thought that this was well written, considering the author is an adult trying to think like a teenager, She does a good job with it, and Melinda is believable. Not all books written this way are successful. I would like to read more from this author because of her treatment of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment