Friday, April 10, 2015

TAYSHAS #15

Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark

I always say that in teaching, the relationships with students is more important than the content I teach. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I am the teacher kids go to when they feel they need to talk to. I know this, and the counselors have told me this too. They purposely put the kids who need someone with me. I've had a student come out to me and ask for advice about telling her friends. I've talked one out of suicide. There's nothing special about me, per se, I just listen. I'm good at that. I have yet to have a student who is transgendered, but I feel that having read this book will help me to be empathetic when that day comes.

Brendan is a high school senior. He has a baby sister, a mother, an interloper, and a girlfriend. He is on the wrestling team, even though he hates it. Brendan also thinks he may be transgender. He is experiencing some serious confusion, as he is caught between liking aspects of being male, yet wanting to be female. It has caused problems with his girlfriend, and things get worse when his best friend catches him in a bra.

Lucky for Brendan, he meets Angel, who is also transgender, and works at a youth center for transgender teens. Angel has been through some rough times herself, but she is someone that Brendan can talk to. While there's no true resolution to this story, I'd like to believe that Brendan turns out ok. There were some dark times for him as he wrestled with his identity, and my heart broke for him. I want him to be ok.

This was told in verse, but this didn't detract from the message at all. In fact, for once, it was an easier read than it might have been. I like that the author also included messages within some of the poems.

All in all, and I know this sounds cheesy, but I feel like a better person for having read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment