Sunday, March 6, 2016

TAYSHAS 14

Tommy: The Gun That Changed America by Karen Blumenthal

This is not something I would typically choose for myself to read, but it came with rave reviews from my school librarian and the copy room secretary. Based on both of them, I knew I had to check this out.

The beginning of the book focuses on the origins of the gun itself, how it is an incarnation of the Gatling gun. It also discusses the creator, John Thompson, and how his fondest wish was to create a gun for the US Military. Unfortunately for him, that didn't really happen until just before his death.

A large portion of the book dealt with how the Tommy gun was used by criminals. Al Capone, Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson, and John Dillinger's escapades are all mentioned. Admittedly, this was the most interesting section of the book.

Lastly, this book dealt with gun legislation. What I liked about this section is that it was unbiased. The author never said which side of the controversy she was on, and I think this was a good thing so that it wouldn't alienate readers.

Overall, this was a pretty interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment