Sunday, March 13, 2016

TAYSHAS 15

The Girl From the Well by Rin Chupeco

Some time ago, I decided that I was only going to read 15 TAYSHAS books this year, then I waffled a bit and said 21, and recently, my sanity returned where I decided 15 is a good number. It gets me a t-shirt and pizza for lunch one day. I'm content. And anyway, I have about 15 books stacked on my coffee table and in the pink room that are waiting to be read.

I was iffy about this book. When I was spending the gift cards I had way back in July, I saw this and almost bought it. I didn't because the cover looked a lot like the cover for the movie The Ring (there's a reason for that), and I just wasn't into it. I ultimately chose this as my final TAYSHAS book for this year because it was $8 at Target (even though I could read it for free on Overdrive. smh.).

This book is told from the perspective of a centuries old ghost. She was wronged and killed, and roams the Earth helping people, particularly children, make their way to Heaven. One day, she happens upon Tarquin, a tortured fifteen year old boy, who has a malevolent spirit following him.

Poor Tarquin hasn't exactly had it easy. He has grown up with just his father because his mother was in a mental facility for trying to kill Tark on multiple occasions. She also, allegedly, gave him several tattoos when he was a small child. It isn't until her death that he begins to understand why she treated him the way she did.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Callie. She is Tark's older cousin, who also sees spirits. She is the last family member to see Tark's mother alive, and she has received instructions, more or less, on how to release Tark from the evil spirit that plagues him.

Ultimately, Tark and Callie travel to a sacred part of Japan in an effort to lose these spirits.

Great book. A little on the weird side, but it was a good weird. I liked it enough that I bought the sequel, even though I was only halfway through at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment