Thursday, April 21, 2016

Annoying Brothers

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

This came up as either a freebie or was really inexpensive for my Kindle one day. I thought I had read other books by this author (I hadn't, as it turns out), so I bought it. It's been sitting on the back burner for a while, but I have had two students who purchased this on their own and liked it, so I thought I would give it a try.

Steven is thirteen, in eighth grade. He starts out the book telling us how annoying his little brother is. Jeffery is five, and is, as most five year olds are annoying. Then one day, he takes a tumble from a stool in the kitchen, resulting in a bloody nose that requires a trip to the emergency room. Unfortunately for Steven's family, it was more than a bloody nose. Poor Jeffery is diagnosed with leukemia.

At first, no one really knows how to handle things. Mom is emotional, dad is reserved, Steven is a bundle of emotions. He makes bargains with God if he will just save Jeffery. He stops caring about school for a little while, he has nightmares. The family goes into debt, and that adds additional stress that no one needs.

One thing that doesn't change is Steven's love for Jeffery, despite his annoyingness. Steven would do anything for Jeffery, and Jeffery acts like Steven hung the moon.

I just knew this book was going to wreck me. Books like this usually do. I couldn't put this one down. I was riveted. It was a sweet story.

No comments:

Post a Comment