Monday, April 25, 2016

Named for a Creek

Woman Hollering Creek by Sandra Cisneros

Much like The House on Mango Street, which I loved, I read this because my son hated it. While I feel hate is a strong word, I would be lying if I said I enjoyed this book.

Written as a series of vignettes, this tells the stories, mostly hardships, of Hispanic women of all ages. The stories of the young girls and teenagers were ok, enjoyable even, but once I got to the adult sections, I was completely turned off. I didn't care to read about abused women, women who were cheated on, and sex lives. These things aren't really my thing, and I found nothing redeemable for this section of the book.

The only way I can see that anyone would read this is if it was required for a college lit class, which, by the way, it was for my son. At least it only took a few hours to read, though I won't get those hours back.

No comments:

Post a Comment