Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Secret Societies and Boarding Schools

Poor Little Dead Girls by Lizzie Friend

I picked this up because my daughter was interested in it. I don't always read books before her to make sure they are ok; this was a situation where I recognized the cover and the blurb sounded interesting. Honestly, I can't wait for her to read it so we can talk about it.

Ho. Lee. Cow.

Sadie is a lacrosse player from Oregon who receives a scholarship to play for a prestigious boarding school in Washington DC. As it turns out, her mother went there as well, but since Sadie doesn't know much about her mother, this was a little bit of a surprise. Being the new, not wealthy girl at a boarding school that caters to the daughters of the rich and well known, Sadie experiences some mild hazing.

One night, her first week there, she is blindfolded and taken to a trial by the Fates. She answers their questions, and is then returned to her room with a pin prick in her arm and a mysterious bruise that she doesn't know how she got. She has a pretty good idea who is behind things, and sure enough, is asked again to a secret meeting. In a way, she becomes a part of the cool crowd, except this crowd is a secret society, specializing in being do gooders.

The thing about secret societies is that they have their secrets. I won't share them here, but trust me when I say it is worth taking the time to read this to find out what they are. This book was so good that I have been ignoring my favorite Tuesday night tv programming (that I never miss-ever) so I can see how this book ended up. So worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment