Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A Beastly Knockoff

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant

This one came in my Harry Potter themed Lit-Cube. Not sure why, as it is in no way related to Harry Potter. In fact, it is more like The Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket, but I think that is mostly due to the way it is told. From time to time, the reader is addressed.

Anastasia is kidnapped from school one day by two older women claiming to be her great aunts. They tell her that her parents have been killed in a freak vacuuming accident. Anastasia falls for it, and ends up in their creepy, old Victorian house. A house that used to be St. Agony's Asylum. That bodes well, no?

Anyway, Anastasia is locked in her room every night, and asked to do weird chores, like catching leeches. One day while overhearing her "aunts," Anastasia finds out that they intend to kill her and feed her to some beast. Anastasia meets Ollie and Quentin, who the aunts have imprisoned for nefarious reasons as well. The three of them decide they must escape, so they make plans to do so.

This is the beginning of a series I am not likely to continue. This was written for upper elementary school students, so I wouldn't even put this in my classroom. I just wasn't impressed. It was written too much like something I enjoyed, but I felt that this author tried to hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment