Monday, November 21, 2016

Modern Day P&P

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick

If you've been following me for a while, you have probably figured out that I love Jane Austen, specifically, Pride and Prejudice. I am a sucker for anything related to anything Jane, so when my favorite subscription service, Lit-Cube, offered a special edition Jane Austen box on my birthday, I jumped on it. This book was in that box.

I suspected I would love this book, simply because it was a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. What I liked best was that everything that happened in the original novel happened here. Every character in the original was present, though not necessarily in ways you would expect. For example, there are only three Bennet sisters in this--Jane, Lizzie, and Lydia. No worries though. Mary makes an appearance as a cousin, and Kitty is Lydia's pet cat.

Another thing I liked was that modern Lydia was not nearly as annoying as original Lydia. Her story ends a bit differently too, but that is only to be expected.

I liked this enough that I will probably seek out other books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment