Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Summer Book 15

Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli

Just got this yesterday. I somehow managed to get it in paperback, even though it hasn't been released in this format here yet. Go me. I was a little concerned that this wouldn't be as good as Simon vs. The Homosapiens Agenda because I didn't really like Leah in that book, but I loved this.

So, Leah is bisexual, but only her mother knows. Leah's never gone out with anyone and never kissed anyone, but she has had crushes on people before. In fact, she has a big ol' crush on Abby, but figures nothing will come of that because Abby is straight and dating her friend, Nick. They're all getting ready to graduate and are receiving their college acceptances. Leah and Abby will both end up at the same college, but Nick is going to a school in Boston, which could be a problem since Abby doesn't want to have a long-distance relationship. Abby breaks up with Nick right before spring break, which is also right before prom. Abby is fine about it, but Nick isn't.

During spring break, Abby and Leah go to an orientation at their college, and Abby kisses Leah. It's Leah's first kiss. Leah doesn't know what to make of this, but figures Abby is just experimenting and therefore playing with Leah's emotions. It turns out that was not Abby's intent. She's just trying to find herself and understand things.

And oh yeah, there's a guy who is smitten with Leah, but because she is hung up on Abby, she is kinda stringing him along. Normally, this would anger me, but it was just so sweet to see how things between Leah and Abby developed that I could overlook it.

I realize that I have not done this awesome book justice. I'm sorry about that. I genuinely hope that Albertalli will allow us to follow Simon and Bram and Leah and Abby through college because I know I am not satisfied yet. Surely I am not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment