Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Summer Book 16

The Universe is Expanding and So Am I by Carolyn Mackler

After finishing The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things I knew I had to read this one. Much like Summer Book 15, I sincerely hope that Ms. Mackler will continue writing about Virginia because I want to see more of her. She's only sixteen, and there are still adventures to be had.

This one picks up roughly four months after the predecessor. It's near the end of Virginia's sophomore year of high school. Her sister will be coming home from her stint in the Peace Corps, and her brother is about to go to Paris. Until he is arrested for the date rape nine months previously. This throws a wrench in everything, particularly Virginia's new relationship with a boy. Who happens to be the brother of Byron's victim.

Virginia and Sebastian decide it is best to continue to see each other and keep what happened between their siblings out of their relationship. This works pretty well. Until it doesn't

I liked this book, but there were some things that irritated me and they irritated me in the first book also. First, Virginia's parents. They harp on Virginia's weight because she's not super thin like everyone else in her family, as if this makes her less than. Then, anytime she tries to assert herself, she's somehow wrong, but not for any real reason. And how they make Byron's problems her problems. I just wish they could see and love Virginia for who she is.

Then there's Byron. He's an asshole. He thinks that because he's some golden child things can't touch him. Like when he squirts the windshield wiper fluid on Virginia in the car, that it's no big deal. Who does this crap? People who turn out to date rape girls, that's who.

Again, I loved both of these books and hope there are more.

No comments:

Post a Comment