Thursday, December 20, 2018

TAYSHAS 2019 #3

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds

I have heard a lot of good things about this book, so when I saw it made the list, I knew it was one I would have to read. Good choice. It's told in verse, so it is a quick read, even though there are 306 pages. (Hello? I just started it this morning while my students took midterms!)

This is told by Will. His brother was shot and killed the night before, and according to "the rules," Will has to avenge his brother's death. He finds his brother's gun, and gets on the elevator to take care of business. Seven floors he has to go down. A minute's time, and this is what Will sees and hears. Each floor, someone he knows gets on the elevator with him. People who have died. Each one to help him see what he has to do.

With each person, Will seems to get a bit more confused as to what he has to do. Doubt has been introduced-- is it really the person he thinks killed his brother? What if he misses? He sees all these dead folks, is Will himself alive or dead?

So, take this journey and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment