Friday, December 28, 2018

TAYSHAS 2019 #6

Speak: The Graphic Novel by Laurie Halse Anderson

I can't remember if I read Speak on my own or because it was a requirement for one of my library science classes, but I read it a few years ago. I liked it because it was real. So, when I saw the graphic novel made the TAYSHAS list I knew I would read it.

If I am being honest, I don't think this should have made the list simply because the original novel was on the list years ago. But, what do I know? This was a quick read because it was a graphic novel.

I am not the biggest fan of graphic novels. I understand that people love them, and I think they are great for struggling readers. Give me the words on the page and let my imagination paint the pictures rather than what the author wants me to see, even if those images in my head are not so nice.

All that said, this was pretty well done. Despite the subject matter, nothing was illustrated in such a way that you could see everything. It was tastefully done, and there was still room for the imagination to do what needed to be done.

I am not going to revisit the story itself, as I wrote a review/summary when I read the original novel. I think both the original and graphic novels have a place on library shelves and in classrooms, and I will be obtaining a copy of the graphic novel for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment