Wednesday, November 15, 2023

How Was This The Book Of The Year?

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Sometime in 2022, summer, I think, I got this as my book club selection. As it turns out, that was a waste for me. I thought it would be good. The characters were roughly my age and it was about video games. I didn't read it right away because, as you know, my TBR is a mile long and there's always something I want to read more. After this was named Book of the Year by both Book of the Month Club AND Barnes and Noble, I was excited to read it. Yet, I still put it off. It wasn't until last week that I started and finished it, and that is only because I listened to the audiobook, as there's no way I'd have stuck to this.

This is about Sam and Sadie, who met in the hospital when Sadie was there with her sister and Sam was there as a patient. It chronicles their lives from then until the present day. Sadie is a video game programmer, which brings others into their sphere. This had such potential, but it ended up being 13+ hours of these people's lives. People I felt no connection to. People I didn't care about. And it was mundane things too. It was clear that Sam was on the spectrum, but I don't remember that being mentioned at all. 

At any rate, I wish I had passed on this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment