Saturday, November 4, 2023

Not the Jackie O I Know

 Jacqueline in Paris by Ann Mah

I love Paris and Jackie Kennedy Onassis is a cultural icon, so I really thought I was going to love this. I didn't and I hate that I spent the money to have this as an add-on for my book of the month and that I used an Audible credit for it. 

This book is about the year Jackie spent in Paris. She was completely immersed in the language and culture and attended the Sorbonne. She met someone and fell in love, but that didn't work out for complicated reasons. 

What struck me about this book was how mundane it was. Even when it was about the communists it was not exciting. The only time I perked up even a little was when Jackie had sex with Jack Marchand, but that gave next to nothing with regard to detail. 

In short, this book painted Jackie O as a boring woman, and I don't believe that was true. Unlike most historical fiction books, this one did not inspire me to research more. This was time and money I won't get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment