Sunday, March 31, 2013

TAYSHAS #12-14

Because I have been out of town for Easter, in the land of no internet, I have been unable to blog about the books I finished Friday afternoon and this morning. Since I was finishing a third, I thought it best to wait and do all three together.

TAYSHAS #12-The Fault in our Stars by John Green
The librarian had this book sent to me in my classroom before school let out on Wednesday, so I could read it over the long weekend. It was covered in sticky notes about how much she loved the book. I did too, but it was sad.

Hazel, the protagonist, has stage four cancer. We get to live her life with her. She meets a boy, Augustus, who is in remission from his cancer. They met at a cancer support group and became instant friends. More than that really. She introduces him to her favorite book, and he uses his wish to fly with her to Amsterdam to meet the author of the book because she needs answers. I will not reveal more than that, as this is a book that should be read. Make sure your tissues are ready though.

TAYSHAS #13-The Night She Disappeared by April Henry
This one was not incredibly long, and I read most of it before breakfast yesterday, during The Ten Commandments last night, and before breakfast this morning. I enjoyed it, as it was suspenseful.

Kayla Cutler works at Pete's Pizza. She switched nights with Gabie. A man calls in with an order, but requests the girl with the Mini Cooper. That would be Gabie. Kayla goes to deliver the pizzas, and is kidnapped. Gabie thinks it should have been her, as she was who was requested. Gabie feels guilty, and feels that Kayla is still alive. With the help of a co-worker, Drew, Gabie sets out to find out what happened to Kayla.

TAYSHAS #14- Dying to Know You by Aidan Chambers
Started this after breakfast, but before church today. By the time we got on the road to head home, I'd already read 60 pages.

Karl is dating Fiorella. Fiorella wants Karl to answer questions about himself because she wants to know him better, and because he never talks about himself.  Karl seeks out Fiorella's favorite author to see if he will help Karl answer her questions. Very Cyrano de Bergerac. Anyway, the author and Karl become quite good friends, and they help each other find themselves. It was ok. I'll be honest: I chose this book because the cover intrigued me. Yes, I judged a book by its cover. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment