Friday, May 31, 2013

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Just being told the title, I knew this book took place in Mississippi. How? Well, my mom's side of the family is from Mississippi, and I learned early on in life that Mississippi is spelled like this: M-fence post-crooked letter-crooked letter-fence post-crooked letter-crooked letter-fence post-humpback-humpback-fence post.

A friend of mine, who also happens to be my team leader, is starting a book club and asked if I'd like to join. At the time, I said I'd love to, but I was involved in the TAYSHAS contest, so I didn't know when I'd get a chance to start. This was the first selection chosen, and I went ahead and ordered it. I started last Saturday, and finished a few minutes ago.

This book focuses on two men, one black (Silas), one white (Larry), who grew up in rural southern Mississippi. Larry is the town weirdo. He never seemed to measure up in his father's eyes. When he was a teenager, he took a girl on a date, and she went missing. She was never found, and he never confessed. Fast forward twenty-five years: another girl goes missing, and he's the number one suspect.

Then there's Silas. He grew up without a father, was a baseball star in high school, and is now the constable of the town. He's investigating the missing girl. While investigating, some truths about himself and Larry are brought to light, and dynamics change.

I enjoyed this book. It's hard not to go into it more because I would end up giving things away. It's a mystery, so I don't want to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment