Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Things They Carried

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

This was one of the optional novels for the English II regulars classes this year.  Because I had not read it, I ruled it out as an option for my classes, and we read Tuesdays With Morrie instead. Next year, I may have my classes read this.

This book is about a platoon serving in the Vietnam war, and the things they carried. The first chapter or so actually lists the physical things they carried in their rucksacks. The rest of the book deals with the experiences and emotional baggage of these soldiers.

I am typically not one to read books about war. It's not my thing. That said, I enjoyed this book. I think it is because it was less about the war itself, and more about the personalities of the soldiers themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment