Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Book #4

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Hands down, this is the best book I've read in a while. I think that's saying something since I read a lot.

This book starts in the present with Jacob, who is ninety-three and in a nursing home. Most of the book is told in flashback from the twenties when he was a young guy. In the last weeks of veterinary school at Cornell, Jacob's parents are killed in a car accident. He sits for his final exam, but doesn't take it. Instead, he runs away and joins the circus. He becomes the circus vet, and falls in love with the girl who has the horse act. Unfortunately, she's married to a douchebag.

This book follows Jacob's life during the three and a half months that he works for the circus. We learn about his friends, and maybe more importantly, the life behind the scenes of a circus. I was enthralled. Plus, this is one of those books where the story evolved from old pictures. I love those.

I definitely recommend this one. No lessons to learn necessarily, but definitely worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment