Sunday, May 11, 2014

Heavenly Communication

The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom

As you may have noticed over the course of this blog, I enjoy Mitch Albom's books. The things he writes about heaven can be thought provoking and emotional. With that said, there are a couple of books, this one and For One More Day, that I am not sure I could deal with if they occurred in my life.

The premise of this book is that people in one Michigan town are receiving phone calls from loved ones who have passed on. Presumably, they are calling from heaven. Sounds great, right? The town is inundated with people hoping that, just by being in the proximity, they too will receive a phone call from a dearly departed loved one. So many people believe. There is, however, one who doesn't. Sully Harding. He has made it his mission to prove that these calls are fakes. He has his reasons.

This was a good book, but it made me think that I wouldn't want to receive a phone call from heaven. Crazy, I know. While I would love to hear from my grandpa, I think it would just be re-opening a wound. I still have a hard time listening to my grandma's answering machine message because it is my grandpa's voice. I can't imagine having an actual conversation from beyond with him. One part of me would love it, I think, but the other would be heartbroken all over again. Not sure I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment