Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A Companion Book

Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

Five years ago, I was in my methods classes. We were on location in a high school, and I was assigned to a freshman and a senior class. My senior mentor was getting ready to begin a novel with her class, and asked me to create a lesson to introduce the characters to the class. That novel was Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers. I enjoyed the book, which surprised me.

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the school library, and a coworker was checking out Fallen Angels. We began to talk about what a good book it was, and the librarian mentioned that there was a companion book, told by the nephew of the narrator. I was sold. I checked it out, and now, nearly two weeks later (I know!), I finished. Sadly, it wasn't as captivating to me as the first book was.

Birdy is shipped to Iraq at the beginning of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He sees some horrific sights, learns firsthand about IED's, and remote detonation. He makes friends with some of his comrades, and sees some die.

I don't know why I wasn't as taken with this one as I was its predecessor. I have to wonder if it is because I don't know much about the Vietnam war, whereas I was living during the time of Iraqi Freedom. All the media coverage, I think, has taken away from the book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment